Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Wipe Out!

Since I moved, the route to school is mostly a long straightaway on Anderson road. The result has been my riding harder and riding faster than any time since early freshman year. I've been pushing my physical limits, developing some impressive quads, and pushing my bike's limits, sometimes skidding slightly around campus traffic circles.

So this afternoon on my way home for lunch, it was to my surprise when I was passed by a bicyclist with a nice road bike. This happens maybe twice a month. I caught up to him on the next red light and I decided to draft him when it turned green. I found that I only had to pedal intermittently to keep up with him. My chain needs lube, so every time I pedaled there was an audible grinding sound. The rider turned around and told me so. I said that I knew and asked if it was alright that I was drafting him. He nodded his assent. A block later he prepared to turn onto his street. I laid into the pedals to squeak through a yellow light, feeling pretty good about myself. I was going extremely fast and still pedaling as I began to cross lanes for my upcoming left turn.

I've long been aware of the similarities between bike riding and surfing. The sensation of flying, the casualness of countersteering and the rush of a smooth, deep turn make the resemblance unmistakable.

One crucial difference is the inevitability that when you wipe out on a bike, it will hurt. Never mind submerged rocks or shallow water, the pavement is right there waiting for you. I think the knowledge that you are gliding over hard, unfriendly stone is one of the most magical things about the bicycle.

I looked to the oncoming traffic to time my turn. There was plenty of space behind the last car, so I cut across early and hard. I got greedy and pedaled through the turn for additional speed. That's when my pedal dug into the pavement and launched the Ash Maiden and I across the street.


This was the fourth wipeout of my college career and by far the most badass. Never have I wiped out at such obscene speed. I bruised my heel hard enough that I've got a limp, my chain derailed and my hip was shredded red from the landing, but otherwise it was a practically bloodless wipe.



Some might take away the lesson to ride less recklessly. Not so for yours truly. I learned to make sure to tuck in my feet on my next high speed turn.

No comments: