Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Makeup

This is part 2 of an adaptation of a letter written to Rob Rosenberger, a fellow blogger who lives in New York.

Rob is deeply opposed to makeup in general and particularly on women. His principal objection is that it recalls millenia of women's cultural subjugation. I contrasted his recent post concerning makeup with mine about face paint. I observed that I was recently elated by the power of makeup. Though makeup is frequently abused, I have no objection to its tasteful use.

I approach everything I can as an aesthetic endeavor. From a young age my artist mother taught my sister and I to approach pumpkin carving, snowflake cutting, clothing, house painting, gardening, etc., as an opportunity for self-expression. In addition, she and especially my dad instilled in me an abiding respect for tradition. Though I agree that makeup is a relic of subjugation, I differ on the weighting. In my opinion, that makeup is a product of different times serves to its credit as well as to its detriment. I love subtle points of continuity, even in the face of necessary change.

I'd like to get good at applying makeup if it was socially acceptable and if I had the time/patience. I think that while makeup manifests deep set elements of cultural male dominance, on a personal level it is consummately selfish rather than submissive. While I despise submissiveness, especially in women, I can only respect selfishness.

Unlike most people I don't see a conflict between selfishness and being a good friend or lover. Selfish friends are useful and I consider true love to redefine "self" to include those loved, just like land privatization once afforded the best care for land.

No comments: