Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Number One Hundred

The Dilettante passed one hundred unique hits today. I think the occasion merits a bit of retrospective.

The naming of my blog was the first subtle joke on the blog and the first of many to be largely missed. When I created my blog I figured it wasn't obvious enough and too few readers would even know what the word meant, so I provided a definition immediately below the title. What I should tell you beforehand is that I love to simultaneously use disparate definitions of a word, especially historic ones.

With a cursory knowledge of the word or a glance at the caption it should be apparent that the title is self-deprecating. Ha ha, it's funny cause it's true, etc. Clever enough for some. Read a little deeper and you will realize that the historic definition had a very positive connotation. Dilettante used to mean someone who loved learning for its own sake. It sums up the blog's philosophy as "Yes, I know dabbling is bad for me but I'm gonna do it anyways cause I like it and then I'll share my joy with you."

Imagine how happy I was with myself when I arrived upon a one-word title that was funny, subtle, and summed up the blog's entire credo.

No comments: