Thursday, July 10, 2008

Summer in Davis

I'm a little bored and anxious up here in Davis (simultaneously and chronically, as it should be). I'm sending my acceptance to a professor of cell biology for a research position. My garden is (mostly) planted and there happens to be a blackberry bramble nearby that we've been picking. When Caius visited for my birthday he made me a pie from scratch. Since then I've made two more. My roomate's brother is visiting. In an effort to fight the heat-induced lethargy and boredom of not having anything to do in Davis except hang with my family equivalent, I have decided to take up photography and... nightrides. I photographed a fair chunk of senior year and have since been eternally grateful to myself for doing so. My camera has sat unused for the last three years. I realize I need a photographic document of my life in college beyond a few people's party pics that I hardly remember and that certainly don't flatter me. I inaugurated this endeavor with a photo shoot of the Ash Maiden and I. As soon as I find the camera's chord I'll send a couple to you. Now nightrides, I have decided, are defined as spontaneous (or pretend spontaneous) nocturnal bike rides without a predetermined objective. And of course I ride like the wind. Yesterday Brandon and his brother Spencer and I went to the farmer's market and bought peaches (only from the best stall and of three different varieties) and a beautiful smelling melon. The combination is completely intoxicating. This afternoon I felt compelled to read Goblin Market out loud for the millionth time-- this time to Spencer. If I do say so I think my renditions have improved. This morning I did my third radio show of the summer (Krautrock) and Spencer came in and read a Grimm's fairy tale on air.

No comments: