Saturday, June 21, 2014

Playlists: Sarah 3

I don't remember exactly when I made this, the third playlist for Sarah, but it was somewhere in the middle of things, while we were living in Excelsior. The music is also perhaps the most rounded, rocking, and generally conducive to a good time and it's the one I've most frequently used to provide people with an introduction to my musical taste, partly because the lyrical content is less explicitly romantic.


Of course, elements still recall that relationship, with the immortal song title "What Do You Want Me To Say?" (Mad Men, anyone?) and the gentle sincerity of "Balancing Act" and "He's My Star". "Nod Scene" and "Rebel Girl" were both homages to the sense of "fuck you" hipsterism that Sarah can evoke and the sense of cool that the two of us constructed together.

Sarah particularly enjoyed the tempered idealism of the original Mommyheads track that unfortunately had to be substituted on the Grooveshark listing, "Tension", which can be sampled here and whose lyrics I hope capture the spirit that pervades this very blog:  "I believe in cream puffs and apple pies/ I believe in nectarines and tangerines/ I believe in peace and love and understanding/ I believe in loving you eternally/ I believe in everything that you believe in/ but I also believe in tension/ I also believe in tension."

If you only have time to listen to one song, I encourage you to listen to the epic closer, "Tales of Endurance", because it is just incredible. Whatever the case, please enjoy this small slice of my musical world.

Playable playlist
http://grooveshark.com/playlist/For+Sarah+3/81911208

Original tracklist
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ycpxxix6vxllgkp/Sarah3playlist.xls

No comments: