Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Blackout for SOPA and PIPA

Well, I can't figure out how to blackout this blog, but I will have you know that I stand in solidarity with Wikipedia, Google, Facebook, Reddit, Yahoo, Twitter, Ebay, AOL, LinkedIn, Mozilla, a whole host of other websites and a legion of regular citizens against SOPA and PIPA. If you don't know, these are bills in Congress that go up for a vote in the coming days. They are nothing less than an all-out assault against a free and open Internet. I encourage all of you to contact your representatives today about this bill. Wikipedia will help you.

Here is what Wikipedia looked like at the time this post was published.

For a thorough but readable analysis of these two bills, see Reddit's blog.

It wasn't until I tried to contact my Representative that I discovered who my Representative is. Can you guess? It's fucking Nancy Pelosi!UPDATE: SOPA was shelved after the overwhelming response elicited by the blackout protest. PIPA is undergoing revision. A new version of anti-piracy legislation is expected to return to the floor sometime in February. As Wikipedia states in its banner, "we're not done yet".

3 comments:

Mike Stuart said...

May I suggest that this new law will provide an incredible opportunity to troll if it passes.

I will now claim that I own the rights to Mickey Mouse, the NFL, the Republican Party, Batman, the Question Mark, all images of dogs, and that I am in a legal dispute over the rights to the sky.

Max said...

lmao and good luck with the legal fees.

Mike Stuart said...

I'll be lawyer soon enough and we live in the best legal system in the world, a.k.a. "each side to bear their own costs".

Hell, if I use my law degree for nothing but trolling SOPA it'll still be well worth it. That reminds me, I will also claim the rights to trolls and any derivation thereof.