Monday, May 31, 2010

If I Were to Start a Microbrewery

This is one of my dilettantish whims that faces incredible odds of ever seeing fruition. I'm realistic, though, so I decided that if I were to ever seriously talk about starting a microbrewery I'd have to have perfected a couple of homebrew recipes and won a few awards for them. We'll see how far I get, but until then it's way too fun to daydream.

If I were to start a microbrewery I'd call it Beach Cities Brewing. I'd need to find a bar or restaurant to ally myself with and I'd want to round out a selection of thoughtful, innovative beer offerings. To kick around beer ideas and as the natural next step to being as obsessed with beer as I am, I've started researching recipes for typical beers.

Pale Ale (California Sunshine Ale)
I've noticed the classic American Pale Ale is a little too heavy to drink on a hot summer day, but the briskness of the hops always makes me think that it should be more refreshing. I think there's a gaping niche in the American craft beer market for a lighter-bodied pale.

Mad River Brewing makes an Extra Pale Ale, but frankly it's too light, too bready and too innocuous for my taste. What I want in a summer beer is one that's light enough to be quaffable like a macrobrew lager but that pairs well with (especially grilled) food the way amber ales do.

I think the best way to do it would be to combine the significant Cascade dry hopping of pales with small quantities of the darker malts that give that toasted flavor to New Belgium's Fat Tire or Flying Dog's Pale Ale. The loser in the equation would be the crystal (or caramel) malt that gives both amber and pale ale styles their foundational sweetness.

Prototype Pale Ale

Ingredients:
5 lbs Light Malt Extract
2 lbs Sugar (standing in for flaked rice)
1/4 lb Crystal Malt 50L
1/4 lb Carapils
1/4 lb Chocolate Malt

0.25 oz Magnum Hops (60 min)
0.5 oz Perle Hops (30 min)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (10 min)
0.5 oz Amarillo Hops (10 min)
0.5 oz Cascade Hops (0 min)
1.0 oz Amarillo Hops (0 min)

Optional dry hop of another 1.0 oz Amarillo

Wyeast American Ale Yeast 1056
3/4 cup priming suger

Directions
Put the crushed malt in grain bag and steep for 30 minutes in 1.5 to 2 gallons of water. Heat to approximately 170F (not exceeding 180F), remove grain bag, bring water to boil, add extract and boil one hour adding hops at appropriate times.

Ferment in primary one to two weeks. Watch your ferment temperatures, try to keep them in the 63F to 68F range. (Optional) Dry hop in secondary for one to two weeks. Add priming sugar and bottle
Servings
5 Gallons

Expected stats based on online calculators:
5.3% ABV
36 IBU

This is definitely the first recipe I'm going to try out when I get my hands on some brewing equipment. Firstly because it's the concept I've thought the farthest through and secondly, because ales are usually easier to make and harder to drink large quantities of. It makes sense to brew an especially drinkable ale if you're making 5 gallons at a time.

This prototype represents about three simultaneous experiments: Can a pale ale be essentially watered down and remain compelling? Will chocolate malt mesh with the hard-edged hops that constitute the basis of the classic American pale ale? Do Amarillo hops really taste like grapefruit and do I like them?

Amber Ale
I'd also want to have an Amber in the lineup because it's an awesome food beer and the style I've been most interested in lately. It's also got a lot of flexibility. I've had Ambers that range from toasted and refreshing (New Belgium, Rogue) to borderline creamy (Alaska, Anderson Valley, Full Sail) and I've loved them all. In short, I need something to fill the mid-body, mid-color position in the line-up, but I have no idea how I'll craft something as original and refined as many beers in the style..

Bock (North Swell Bock)
*Pictured: Full-suit clad surfer heading up and over a thick, steely-gray wave*
I'd want to shoot for the gravity of a regular bock, which is considerably heavier than Shiner Bock. Some combination of honey malt, wheat and especially ginger would give it the warmth required to celebrate winter surf.

American India Dark Ale
Once my adoring fanbase develops, there will be an understandable demand for a Beach Cities IPA. I will both sate and confound the hopheads by instead releasing this. Instead of pushing hop complexity, I'd push malt complexity while retaining the generally nuclear malt/hop balance of an IPA. It would mess with IPA doctrine the way Dogfish Head's 90-Minute IPA did, but instead of crisp malt sweetness, I'd go for a rich toasted malt flavor.

4 comments:

Boris de Mesones said...

"Doppelbocks are supposed to have double the gravity"
From the German actual beer law (updated 1516 purity law):
A Bock gravity 16 Plato.
A DoppelBock gravity 18 Plato.
It is not double gravity.

Cheers
Boris

Max said...

Thanks, Boris, that was an embarrassing mistake to make. Your profile says that you're a brew-master in Berlin? Out of curiosity, how did you find my blog?

Alaïs said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Max said...

Hey Bri, glad to see you're reading my blog (and not even complaining about all the beer posts!).

I actually didn't say what kind of ABV I'd gear the recipe for. The thing is you can adjust the final alcohol without affecting the body (mouthfeel/starchiness) too much. You just need to use a starch source that ferments cleanly into alcohol, like corn sugar or rice. That's basically the reason Budweiser can have almost as much alcoholic kick as Sierra Nevada (5 vs 5.6%) and more than Pilsner Urquell (4.4). So you know, I was planning on shooting for a body on par with Pilsner Urquell (in between pale ale and budweiser) and an abv around 5. By dropping most of the caramel flavor in favor of neutral filler, pilsner malt and a little of the dark stuff, hopefully I'll get a "light" version of a pale ale-- a little drier, but still with a malt backbone to it. I didn't mention what I'd do with the hopping, but I'd try and balance it with the body, but err on the aromatic hoppy side like a proper american pale ale.

That said, there are a lot of potential problems with the concept. New Belgium and Sierra Nevada have very different approaches to their beer, so I'm not sure how well a compromise will work. Maybe caramel malts balance out the hop bitterness in a way that pilsner and darker malts cannot. Maybe I should try making a drier pale ale before also messing with the amount of body or, better yet, consult someone who knows what they're talking about before dropping time and money on trying it out. Those things remain to be seen, but I'm pretty happy with the concept (and the recipe I've included with the post).