Sunday, January 3, 2010

What's Wrong With IPA's?

As a fledgling beer snob with a vendetta against the most popular style of microbrew, I get the question a lot: What's wrong with IPA's? The short answer is that they're pretentious and undrinkable. Now, if you're an IPA fan, you've heard that before. A non-beer drinker could say that.

IPA's are the product of a "logical extreme" paradigm that is uniquely American. You've heard Texans boast that "everything's big in Texas". Well, Texans are just Americans with less class than the rest of the country. The conceit is shared by us all. We want everything to be more intense, more "real".

Have you ever compared British candy to American candy? British candy is weak. It hardly even fries your taste buds. Eating British candy could put me to sleep. Who ever heard of milk chocolate that actually tastes like milk? The British, that's who. Try skipping soda and candy for a month and then having a Coke. It's like you've never tasted anything properly your whole life. It's like a nuclear explosion in your mouth. Without conditioning your taste buds will burn from the intensity of Coca-Cola. And that's just Coke. That's the saleable aspect of American culture.

The story of American food is a story of one-upmanship. You think fried chicken is unhealthy? Try fried cornbread (aka hushpuppies). And if you think soaking something porous in grease and then cooking it in batter just isn't enough, try fried twinkies.

We've applied this "bigger, better, more extreme" philosophy to everything. Not the least of these is our alcoholic beverages. Because when we're pretentious, we like to be really pretentious. And the fact that we only half know how to be pretentious won't stop us (though I'd propose it's secretly one of our strengths).

When Sierra Nevada came out with its pale ale, it was one of the bitterest beers on the market. It has an IBU of 37. It was revelatory that a brewery could successfully market an overtly bitter beer. It was a slap in the face to mass scale breweries that kept hopping low to make their beers as innocuous and "drinkable" as possible. Bitterness, gravity and high alcohol became the standards borne by the American microbrew movement. Samuel Adams keeps breaking its own record for the world's most alcoholic beer (their Utopia has 27 ABV).

But any boorish lout can appreciate a beverage that will fuck him up. Ultimately, it was bitterness that became the ideological rallying cry of craft brewing. Just read any diatribe on the back of a Stone Brewery bottle. Bow down and worship at the feet of almighty Bitterness! It's true that hops have complex flavors that sparkle in interesting ways at high concentrations. Bitterness is both daunting and artistically redeeming. The drinker must be willing to suspend expectations of instant likeability and instead struggle with a flavor that confronts and baffles, ultimately to reward.

Of course, the equation Pain=Artistic Merit is so tired and postmodern as to make me sick, but it's not like there aren't legitimate precedents. John Lennon's Plastic Ono Band is a rubbed-raw bender of an album. I myself prefer Nirvana's dark and twisted In Utero to their more pleasant Nevermind and the Velvet Underground's raucous anti-beauty White Light/White Heat to the radio-ready Loaded. Burn-out albums are a wonderful thing. However, they have a very defined and limited place in art. They aren't the sort of albums you'd listen to every day.

But the sense of self-righteous warfare against complacency, aspiring pretension and the mindless pursuit of logical extremes has elevated a beer as boneheaded and specialized as India Pale Ale to the top of craft brewing. Typical American IPA's (India Pale Ales) frequently have IBU's of 60 to 100 (100 is roughly the human taste threshold) and an ABV between 7 and 10. They are crushingly bitter and dangerously alcoholic. Make no mistake, this is a critics' beer. But this is about the most boneheaded critics' beer imaginable. Lots of flavor, lots of alcohol (but not enough to mess up the foam) and lots of malt. IPA's are absolutely interesting, but they ruin the palate and are almost impossible to drink.

This brings us to a cardinal rule of cuisine. Good food and drink ought to be appetizing and complementary. Expensive wine is imminently drinkable, because it tastes delicious and delicate. It is flexible enough to go well with many foods and while it doesn't shy from asserting its beauty, it can also play a beautiful supporting role. This is not the case with IPA's.

Anyone knowledgeable about beer pairings will tell you that IPA's go well with Indian food. That's because Indian cuisine is one of the few foods strong enough to not be overwhelmed by an IPA. However, the best beer to drink with Indian food is not an India Pale Ale (the word India actually has nothing to do with IPA being made for Indian food, btw), because IPA's march to their own tune and don't bother to try and complement anything. That Indian food had damn well better play along.

The best beers to drink with Indian food, I've discovered, are Indian lagers like Taj Mahal. This was my first and most powerful practical lesson to drink a country's beer with its cuisine. Indian lagers are dark, sweet, and vaguely floral. Rather than competing with curry to be the strongest taste, they play a support role, adding another, interacting layer of nuances and subtleties to an already complex curry.

So IPA's aren't food beers (because they're willful) and they aren't session beers (because they're difficult to drink). They are tasting beers, and nothing more. They fill a minor niche well and with panache, but their eminence in the world of American beer-snobbery is as unjustified as it is predictable.


As a sidenote, the two occasions I drank primarily IPA turned out very badly. Some people might think it's a good idea to order a keg of Racer 5 or consecutive pitchers of Arrogant Bastard. It's not. It's really, really not.

7 comments:

Myranda said...

I have only one effective way of writing about anything, and that's by comparing things to literature.

The producers of IPAs are the modernist writers of the brewing industry. Their work is unapproachable, complicated (not always in a good way)(and no matter what you say I still don't think it's fair to deny the complexity of IPAs), pretentious, and damn near impossible to simply sit back and enjoy for all of these airs.

But. Without all of these aspects that make this product so impossible to simply savor, it would merely be another mindless product to be consumed. Modernism demanded more out of readers, created an elite among the reading masses. The elite may have been arrogant and snobby, but they also pushed further advances in writing that wouldn't have happened without their snobbery. The fact that modernism was anit-reader was the entire point - it made the novels richer, let the writers go wherever the fancied with the material and form, and ultimately resulted in some of the best literary works in history.

You know what James Joyce did when critics complained that Ulysses was crude and too complicated? He had a hissy fit, glared at everyone, and then wrote Finnegan's Wake, one of the most indecipherable and brilliant books that I've ever looked at, much less read.

My point: To some, IPAs may be next to undrinkable. And that's okay. But to those who appreciate what these brews have to offer (and not all do, which isn't a bad thing), it allows them to expand their horizons. Bitterness isn't always bad, richness of flavor is not just limited to the narrow realm of what is classically delicious, and (my personal opinion) sometimes a good beer can constitute a private consumption. I love food, but it doesn't always go with my drink of choice. (Another example of this is scotch - I love the scotch. I don't need to have any extra frills and whistles to go with it.)

So meh to you, good sir. *grin*

Max said...

I think a comparison to modern art is perfect for IPA's. IPA's are also groundbreaking in the beer world.

I certainly believe IPA's are complex beers (and say so in my post). I didn't think to mention that that complexity is not always to a point, but you're absolutely right. Complexity for complexity's sake is the bread and butter of the snobby critic. It is the emperor's new clothes, so to speak.

Unfortunately, as in the case of music, when abrasive, noisy rock gives way to albums of undifferentiated white noise (ie Merzbow), still met with critical acclaim, one has to pause and question the reasons we even make music. Let's hope it's not just to sate an ever more self-indulgent construct of "true art"?

The perfect beer is, to me, something pleasant enough that I can ignore and complex enough that I can meditate on. Kind of like the ideal wine I described. Wine and beer are usually approached differently than Scotch because hard liquor doesn't go very well with food.

Yes, and like I said before, I suppose there is a place for a beer not made to be consumed with food. Certain ester-driven high-gravity beers already have done that (not my favorite class of beers either, btw).

What really galls me is to see Beer Advocate hand out A's to IPA's like candy, and scarcely give the best Bocks B's. There is a pervasive mentality in the world of beer snobbery that complexity done subtly is not worth commending and that true complexity coexisting with food-pairability is some sort of myth perpetrated by Anheuser-Busch.

AnotherPickle said...

I think my response will be brief.

You're right in pointing out that IPAs are a bone-headed logical extreme. Kind of an "of course we'd do that in America." However, you seem to be implying that this makes it bad. It is FUNNY, but I don't think that makes it bad.

IPAs do take a while to appreciate, but then again, so does wine. I'd say wine is actually much less palatable than an IPA, even when it's a softer wine. But since wine's don't BEGIN at a soft point such as lagers, you have to take them as that. Where as with IPAs you're able to criticize them for what they AREN'T in relation to other beers.

I didn't even intend to writer that part. What I really wanted to get to is this: I no longer find IPAs to be bitter. Seriously. I rarely ever taste much bitterness in IPAs, even Double IPAs. I've become so acclimated to them, that all I taste is delicious hope resin and how it interacts with the malt. And so, I think that's where brewers are coming from. They aren't making a drink that they think is undrinkable and pretentious. They're making a drink that, to their palate, is delicious--sincerely, without pretension.

I've almost gotten to a point where IPAs aren't hoppy enough and I need double IPAs...but not quite. I'm starting to get interested in non-hop oriented beers (belgians), which, are quite "mild" compared to the IPAs I'm used to, but, sometimes I get bored of being blasted with flavor.

AnotherPickle said...

oh, and on the idea of comparing food/drink to literature, I'm reminded of a project I did in class. For a portion of it, we combined many theories and concepts, and attributed an ingredient to each one, then blended it in a smoothie..."post-modern smoothie"'

and the idea was "to see if your mouth is as open as your mind is." People are willing to take in many ideas (well, "open-minded" people are...sometimes too willing), but if they have to eat that idea, how open to it are they?

so here I guess, Max has decided he's not willing to ingest anymore of what american craft brewers insist on offering up. Me, I kept going because a few good IPAs intrigued me, and I found myself fully understanding and falling into the wave...driving 90 minutes to get Pliny the Younger...

Max said...

Kern, most people think wine is more approachable than any beer, let alone IPA. And wine does have a soft entry point-- sweet white wine (which tastes more or less like fruit juice).

I am willing to ingest what american craft brewers offer up. I drink IPA's rarely, but I do drink them. Also, "what american craft brewers offer up"? I guess you haven't noticed my obsession with American craft beer.

I suppose if you're so desensitized to hoppy bitterness then goody for you. Like spicy food or 100% chocolate, once you're desensitized, there are no complaints. I just think there are more artistic and more palatable ways to play with beer composition than all-out overkill. There's elegance in restraint and class in approachability.

AnotherPickle said...

I guess another good metaphor would be like appreciating Max Weinberg's restrained drumming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Babf6dtYmY) [not the best video, but I couldn't find another]

versus appreciating Brian Chippendale's wild drumming (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2NebHYc-HA&feature=related)

Max said...

Wow, kern. Lightning Bolt sounds just like American IPA's taste. My criticism is the same. I love lightning bolt, but I don't listen to them very often because they're the sort of band you can only stand to listen to if you're paying 100% attention. There are bands/drummers that sound amazing when given 100% listener attention but also sound great as background music. Bands like Big Star and the Beatles. That's ultimately the kind of music/beer that I consume.

I don't pay as much attention to drummers as you, but my favorite drummer is Dave Grohl. Nothing flashy, but the guy knows where to place a fill. I personally don't think Nirvana would have broken alt rock without him.