Friday, November 6, 2009

On Vegetarianism

I should warn you that I am a cold-hearted bastard and I would like to remove sentiment from all but my most personal interactions. The following was originally written as a response to Rob's post Tony the Tofurkey.


I am among those who asks each vegetarian I meet why they are vegetarian. There are many reasons, and some are more justifiable than others. It allows insight into the minds of people in addition to being fun to discuss.

It's true that most people couldn't kill a chicken set before them. I could do it, but I'd have a hard time. After all, I've never done it before and I've had chickens as pets. I interpret this reluctance as weakness, as disconnection from our roots. In times when food was less abundant, people had no moral quandaries about killing for food. Evolution and culture discouraged cannibalism but they couldn't deny the practicality of a nutrition-rich food source like animal flesh. I can't either and I have the additional concerns of cuisine. Chicken is delicious.

The apparent hypocrisy of a woman eating a hamburger with her precious dog in her lap troubled me for a time, but I've realized that the worth of anything is determined by our emotional attachment. I don't care much about far off murders or grandmas dying of cancer. I care about my grandma and my people. That other grandma is a statistic to me, as are far off murders. Those deaths represent tremendous loss to someone, but when diluted by perspective, how could I care? That's not my job. I will deal with my tragedies as they come and I will help those I know or meet with their tragedies.

That is to say the dog in her lap is worth more than enough to her to justify her protectiveness. Neither human life nor animal life has any intrinsic worth. It should be unsurprising that from a singular perspective different lives should merit different worth. The chicken on the farm is worth more dead than alive and thus we kill it, or pay for it to be killed.

I know I and everyone else is perfectly capable of slaughtering a nameless animal. Our grandparents were certainly capable, and I can find no fault in their actions. We just don't have opportunity or incentive to. I don't mind other people doing my dirty work for me, because I don't think it's "dirty work" in the pejorative sense. I will jump at the opportunity to kill an animal for food, with the greater motivation being intellectual curiosity and the second motivation being a desire to overcome my own resistance to what I am already comfortable with in theory.

Regarding the trophic level issue, first of all, chickens require 3 pounds of grain for one pound of meat or egg. That can be lower grade grain that we would not eat, which explains the fact that grain at the store can cost as much as chicken per pound. Furthermore, man can not subsist on bread alone, as we well know. Do you sincerely think that the hoops vegans jump through to meet their nutritional requirements are free? Do you still think it inefficient to eat some chicken with your rice? Furthermore, I thought it was widely known that human starvation is a problem of distribution and overpopulation, not supply. The food you don't eat will not magically find it's way to that starving child's hands.

3 comments:

wrob said...

I had heard about starvation being a problem of distribution and economics, not of supply. If true, our species allows babies to die the most horrific of deaths, just because there's no economic upside in feeding them. In that light, my vegetarianism is, however small, a political statement. I actually love Max's comment about life having no intrinsic value. In some ways, i absolutely agree with the cold-hearted bastard. If you're ever in a plane crash in the Andes with Max and i, watch your ass. You've been warned. Pass the mustard.

AnotherPickle said...

one small correction: "overpopulation" is the same as saying problem of supply, basically.

And from what I've heard, but don't intimately know, there is a lot more to the trophic issue. Sometimes like 12 lbs of grain to each lb. of beef...the beef industries a bit more troublesome I guess.

I'm not vegetarian because, well, I'd just be pissed if someone described me as, "kern, he's vegetarian." I can only stand to inhabit so many stereotypes. Dumb reason, but, hey, not entirely invalid.

Max said...

Yeah, Kern, overpopulation does have to do with supply. Unfortunately, artificially increasing supply stokes overpopulation, ultimately causing more people to die. If population growth rates were immune to food supply, you'd be exactly right, but it's more complicated than that. I invoked "overpopulation" to address that complexity.

As far as beef goes, I've heard the number quoted as high as 16:1. However, grass-fed or grass-fed, corn-finished beef is guilt free. If you're concerned about world food supply, then we have a moral obligation to extract what food resources we can from grassy hills (and forests, for you venison fans out there).

Kern, you made my day with that reasoning. That's among the most awesome reasons I've heard not to be vegetarian. It certainly was a factor for me.